What is a Blog?
A blog is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web (www) consisting often of informal diary-style text entries called posts. Typically, posts are displayed in reverse chronological order, so the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page.
What is the Difference Between a Blog and a Website?
- Regularly updated with new content
- Displayed in reverse chronological order (newer posts first).
- Content is created using posts
- Static in nature (information does not change much)
- Content is organized with pages
- Not updated frequently.
Yes, blogs can be part of a larger website as many businesses have a blog section attached to their site where content is regularly created (blog posts) to inform and educate their customers.
By using WordPress you can create a website and blog.
That is why many business owners (big and small) use WordPress to build their business website.
To simplify, all blogs can be a website or part of a website but not all websites are called blogs.
How Do I Start a Blog for Beginners?
- Choose your blog name (domain name) and purchase hosting for your blog.
- Install WordPress (free) on your hosting plan.
- Choose a simple theme and customize it to make the blog your own.
- Add one key blogging plugin to help search engines find your blog.
- Write quality content to create a blog that your readers will love and keep coming back.
- Promote your blog
These are the basic steps to creating a blog using WordPress.
For more in-depth information, check out my step-by-step tutorial on how to create a successful blog.
How Much Does It Cost to Create a Blog?
You can create a blog for under $5 (USD) a month.
- Domain and Web Hosting – $2.95 a month and up
- WordPress – Free to Use
Yes, for as little as $5 (USD), you can create your own blog.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to create a successful blog.
If you already have a domain name picked out and want to start blogging quickly, you can use my guide to quickly create a blog using WordPress.
How Do You Make Money on a Blog?
There are many ways to make money with a blog.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Sell Digital Products
- Sell Physical Products
- Sell Services (To name a few: freelance, consulting business, life coach)
- Ads on your blog
- Sell sponsored blog posts
- Create a paid membership site
- Accept donations
Can I Earn Money from a Free Blog?
All free blogging platforms have very few ways for you to monitize (make money) with your blog.
Also, most of the free blogging platforms will run their own ads on your pages.
This lets THEM make money off of your content.
The other reasons not to start a free blog if you are wanting to make money with it is:
- You have no ownership of the domain name with a free blog
- Free blogging sites are not SEO friendly
- Your domain name is not professional looking – Example: https://yourblogname.blogger.com
- Very limited control over the blog
- Your hard work can be gone in an instant – Your free blog can be deactivated at any time.
- Very limited options for YOU to monetize
So, wanting to create a free blog will only waste your time if you are wanting to make money online.
How Do I Create a Wedding Blog for Free?
First of all, congratulations! There is so much stuff to do to plan a wedding. The best place to go to create a free blog for your wedding planning is Theknot.com. They have everything you need to make your day the way you always dreamed it would be.
What Types of Blogs are Successful?
- Fashion Blogs
- Beauty Blogs
- Food Blogs
- Travel Blogs
- Parenting Blogs
- Healthly Lifestyle Blogs
- Fitness Blogs
- DIY Blogs
- Personal Development Blogs
- Personal Finance Blogs
- Lifestyle Blogs (mixture of different niches – example: Parenting, Personal Finance, Travel)
Can I Create a Blog on Shopify?
Yes, you can.
If you use Shopify or want to use Shopify to sell products, you can add a blog to your eCommerce store. It has a default name of News, but you can change to any thing you want.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Blog Posts.
- Click Manage blogs.
- Click Add Blog.
- Give your blog a title, then select how you want to manage comments.
- Click Save blog.